CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD (Correct answer marked Bold)
1. The ship is leaving port ___________________ three days’ time.
On in at
2. The plane was late but nobody knew the reason _________________ the delay.
At for on
3. My position has been obtained ______________ celestial observation.
In by at
4. If it is necessary to abandon ship in cold climates you must put _____________ extra clothing.
Onto into on
5. There’s a large vessel leaving. Keep clear ____________ the channel.
Off on of
6. Seafarers should protect themselves _____________ the sun in tropical areas.
From out of
7. We expect to repair the pump _____________ two hours.
In at on
8. We have been waiting for a berth ______________ 3 hours.
From to for
9. I’ll keep watch ______________ the 3rd Officer relieves me.
During until through
10. Ensure that residual wastes are disposed ____________ in a safe and responsible manner.
On of at
11. You ______________ the ship without permission.
To not leave/ will not to leave/ is not to leave/ are not to leave
12. If the visibility is reduced we _____________ at slow speed.
Proceeded/ would have proceeded/ have been proceeded/ will proceed
13. The distress message ______________ at 17:00.
Received/ is receiving/ was received/ was receiving
14. _______________ did you last work on a chemical tanker?
Which when who what
15. You are proceeding ___________________ a dangerous speed.
on in at
16. It’s vital to consider the health and safety ____________________ the crew.
off of at
17. The Panamax bulker sent out a distress message saying the holds were filling ______________ water.
in by with
18. We were late for the vessel because our plane didn’t take off _______________ midnight.
while during until
19. I’ve got two months leave starting ____________ Monday.
on in at
20. Are you familiar ______________ this type of equipment?
of with for
21. Who is responsible ____________ the use of the communication equipment in an emergency?
at from for
22. An immersion suit protects the user from rapidly losing body heat, and it is quick and easy to put ______________.
onto into on
23. We have been waiting for a berth ___________ 3 hours.
for to from
24. You should never enter an enclosed space _____________ an Enclosed Space Entry Permit has been issued.
unless during since
25. _______________will investigate the cause of the accident.
whose who when where
26. ________ the crew clean and prepare cargo holds yesterday?
did have does do
27. The investigators _________ to find the cause of the accident since last night.
is trying has been trying have been trying was trying
28. _________ was the cause of the crude oil spill?
what why how how many
29. We’ve ______________ a new ship security officer
gotten get got been got
30. You can close the holds after the heavy-lifts _________________.
have been loaded to be loaded are being load loaded
31. This drill was ______________ than the last one
more good better best more better
32. The U.S. Coast Guard ______________ the investigation at the moment.
had overseen overseeen is overseeing overseeing
33. _______________public holidays the crew often have to work
up onto down during
34. What was the main cause ______________ the accident last week?
of off from
35. In hot weather awnings are rigged ______________ the quarterdeck
on into between during
36. All vessels are advised to keep clear ________________ this area
of at on
37. I’m not impressed with the communication ______________ you all, It’s affecting the safety on this vessel
because between during
38. Which is the best fire extinguisher to use _______________ an electrical fire?
on out into
39. ‘Be careful you don’t fall _______________ the ladder.’
of off in
40. The ratings had to work all night and the next day they complained of lack ____________ sleep
for off of
41. These records are maintained on board ____________ at least a 12-month period
since while for
42. The crew ______________ briefed now.
Are going to being are going be going to be are going to be
43.You _______________ the ship without permission.
Are not to leave to not leave will not to leave is not to leave
44. ______________ the alarm system just now?
Have they checking are they checking did they checked will they checked
45. ________________ this area. It’s prohibited.
No entry never approached you mustn’t approach don’t approach
46. I have been looking __________________ my safety goggles everywhere but I can’t find them.
for after at
47. I am looking _____________ the Bosun to ask for some white paint. Have you seen him?
for in of
48. Why is the Master not satisfied _______________ our work?
with to of
49. Each lifeboat should be launched and manoeuvred in the water ________________ least once every three months.
On at in
50. The vessel broke adrift and collided ______________ another vessel.
On in with
51. There were ______________ 500 passengers on board during this voyage.
Across over against
52. The pilot boat met the container ship ______________ the pilot station
on to at in
53. We have been waiting for a berth ______________ 3 hours.
To for from
54. If it is necessary to abandon ship in cold climates you must put _____________ extra clothing.
On into onto
55. The safety inspection had to be completed ________________ sunset.
On in under by
56. All life-jackets on any ship must be of the same make and type.
57. All vessel are advised to keep clear on this area.
58. Both vessels were equipped in operational radars.
59. Can you approach the vessel from the lee side?
60. Closing doors will slow down the spread of flames.
61. Drip trays should be placed under the hose couplings…
62. Emergencies often occur at night.
63. Ensure that residual wastes are disposed of in a safe and responsible manner.
64. I am not under command at the moment.
65. I am manoeuvring with difficulty. Keep clear of me.
66. It will take you 15 minutes to get the nearest bank on foot.
67. I’ve got two months leave starting on Monday.
68. I have been working as an electrician for 7 years.
69. I have been working on this ship since April.
70. I have been looking for my key everywhere but I can’t find it.
71. I have just talked with the Watch Officer on the phone.
72. I need to find out the exact dates of my next shore leave.
73. I prefer coffee with milk.
74. If you need medication you should take it with you.
75. If it is necessary to abandon ship in cold climates you must put on extra clothing.
76. Most oil spills occur during routine cargo operations and bunkering.
77. My position has been obtained by celestial observation.
78. Our last port of call was Riga.
79. Pilotage is compulsory for all vessels that enter or leave the port.
80. Portable VHF radios can provide vital communication between the bridge and the cargo control room.
81. Stop where you are and wait until the pilot arrives.
82. The bulk carried arrived in Singapore at 4pm.
83. The Chief Engineer and the 2nd Officer are arriving by plane.
84. The Chief Officer was annoyed because the decision was made without informing him.
85. The Master will meet the visitors on arrival at the port.
86. The pump rate should be 60 cubic metres per hour.
87. The plane was late but nobody knew the reason for the delay.
88. The turbo charger is out of operation.
89. There were over 500 passengers on board during this voyage.
90. There’s a large vessel leaving. Keep clear of the channel.
91. This chapter includes instructions and information about all the lifesaving appliances on board.
92. To make drills more effective, a scenario of the emergency should be decided before the drill.
93. We have been waiting for a berth for 3 hours.
94. We expect to repair the pump in two hours.
95. We were unable to leave Riga on 15th November.
96. What is the latest information about the storm?
97. What was the main cause of the collision last week?
98. Which is the best fire extinguisher to put out an electrical fire?
99. Who is responsible for the use of the communication equipment in an emergency?
100. Who was this certificate signed by?
101. Why is the Master not satisfied with our work?
102. You look so pale! What’s wrong with you?
103. You are proceeding at a dangerous speed.
104. You are advised to alter course to starboard.
105. All cargo should be checked…
106. Avoid contact with any moving parts.
107. Are they checking the alarm system…
108. A fire broke out in the engine…
109. Are you going to leave the port on Friday?
110. Do not remove protective shields, guards, covers or any warning signs.
111. Does an immersion suit reduce body heat loss?
112. Have you ever been to Australia?
113. How often do you usually have emergency drills on board?
114. I will be thirty on Monday.
115. If the visibility is reduced we will proceed at slow speed.
116. Nobody was injured after the fire in the accommodation.
117. Tankers usually carry liquid cargoes, such as petroleum products.
118. Today the crew are going to carry out a launch and recovery exercise with the lifeboat.
119. The distress message was received at 1700.
120. The fire was discovered by the engineer who noticed smoke coming from the hatch.
121. The goods will be delivered in time.
122. The hold was surveyed 2 hours ago.
123. The investigators has been trying to find the cause of the accident since last night.
124. The lookout is on his way to the bridge.
125. The Master is still talking to the agent at the moment.
126. The owners, flag state and coastal were not informed about the accident within the required period.
127. The ship will be placed in quarantine for 6-10 days.
128. The ship was order to alter course.
129. The ship will be left for Riga Tomorrow.
130. The space has not been entered until the fire service arrived.
131. When the Captain comes we will discuss this problem.
132. When did the accident in the galley happen?
133. What kind of assistance do they need?
134. Who will investigate the cause of the accident?
135. Whose telephone numbers are listed in that document?
136. You must not leave your post but should contact the other person via radio.
CHOOSE THE STATEMENT THAT DESCRIBES THE PICTURE
- All the crew members are wearing their safety helmets.
- The cook is cooking pancakes
- The crew practicing an abandon ship master.
- The crew are going to the muster station.
- The crew are taking part in mooring operations
- The crew are holding their life jackets.
- The crew are chipping on the deck.
- The crew are donning their life jackets.
- Two crew member are getting into the rescue boat.
- The crewmen with breathing apparatus are going downstairs
- The crewmen is donning a Thermal Protective Suit.
- The engine crew are overhauling the pumps.
- The fire fighter is entering the space.
- The fire fighter team are getting ready to proceed to the fire place.
- The rescue boat has been launched.
- The ship is moored alongside
- The vessel has run aground.
- They are probably going to take off their immersion suits.
REARRANGE THE WORDS BELOW TO MAKE A CORRECT SENTENCE
1. when ? last the lifeboat you did launch – When did you last launch the lifeboat?
2. board on speak can ? who Spanish – Who can speak Spanish on board?
3. the why angry ? Master was so – Why was the Master so angry?
4. side the ship which will ? moor – Which side will the ship moor?
5. have permit to work ? seen you the – Have you seen the permit to work?
6. did you the Master ? the visitors inform about – Did you inform the Master about the visitors?
15. ladder they will where ? rig pilot the – Where will you rig the pilot ladder?
16. first aid ? checked the equipment have you – Have you checked the first aid equipment?
17. of because poor fog there’s visibility the – There’s poor visibility because of the fog.
18. ? inspected you line have mooring yet the – Have you inspected the mooring lines yet?
19. the/ cargo/ hold/ in/ mustn’t/ you/ smoke – You mustn’t smoke in the cargo hold.
20. I/ work/ on/ vessel/ old/ is/ the – The vessel I work on is old.
21.warning at the received storm 1900hrs was – The storm warning was received at 1900 hrs.
22. the ? gave who order to Engines stop the – Who gave the order to stop the engines?
23. has someone this lock been By broken – This lock has been broken by someone.
24.kinds of cargo port pass through ? Your what – What kinds of cargo pass through your port?
25. where rig pilot ladder will ? The they – Where will they rig the pilot ladder?
26. prevent ? on how board do Coming you unauthorized persons from – How do you prevent unauthorized persons from coming on board?
27. accommodation access the off seal to – Seal off the access to accommodation.
28. area the suspicious has left that boat – The boat has left that suspicious area.
29. package looking suspicious touch don’t that – Don’t touch that suspicious looking package.
30. to the check mooring rope need you – You need to check the mooring ropes.
31. of that photos the taking vessel is why ? man – Why is that man taking photos of the vessel.
32. All necessary equipment was stowed in an appropriate location.
33. Chemicals must be handled with great care.
34. Did you inspect the cargo spacer for stowaways?
35. Did you receive a work permit before the entering enclose space?
36. Did you put back your tools in the tool box?
37. Did you post the lookout on the forecastle?
38. Do you know how to don correctly a lifejacket?
39. Have you inspected the mooring lines yet?
40. Have you checked the first aid equipment?
41. How long will the refitting take?
42. How many people helped to extinguish the Fire?
43. How many propellers has your vessel got?
44. He completed the training course three months ago.
45. I have just checked the firefighting equipment.
46. It took us a long time to clean it the cargo hold.
47. The passengers disembarked from the vessel 2 hours ago.
48. The team began donning breathing apparatus and chemical suits.
49. The Master is responsible for the emergency party training.
50. The storm warning was received at 1900 hrs.
51. The tanker is altering course to starboard.
52. This should be carry out by trained person only.
53. What’s the name of that vessel over there?
54. What are the advantages of this system?
55. What are the procedures in case the fire?
56. What cargo are you loading in hold no 4?
57. What did you have for dinner yesterday?
58. What doors must be locked when in port?
59. What fire-fighting appliances do you have on board?
60. What will you do if you notice the smell of smoke?
61. What warning notices were used during welding?
62. Which defective tools are must not be used?
63. When did you last have a security related drill?
64. When did you launch the last lifeboad?
65. When did you have a security related drill?
66. When are you going to complete bunkering?
67. When was issued the letter to the port authorities?
68. Where can I get protective gloves?
69. Where will they rig the pilot ladder?
70. Where is the ship registered?
71. Where is the onboard oil spill removal equipment stored?
72. You mustn’t smoke in the cargo hold.
CHOOSE THE CORRECT WORD
1. ____________spanner should I use for this repair?
why which who
2.______________ any injured crewmembers on board?
is there are there there was did there
3. _______________ did you last check the lifeboat inventory?
what when who
4. Who ______________?
is responsible for this for this is responsible is responsibility for this responsible for this
5. ____________ is the ship bound for?
where when whose
6. _____________ is her full manoeuvring speed?
why whose what how many
7. _____________ on board?
when did the pilot arrived when will the pilot arrive
when have the pilot arrived when the pilot will arrive
8. _____________ ready to sail?
was you are you is you has you been
9. What _____________ you thinking of doing?
are do does is
10. How _______________ different type of ship mines are there?
much many far often
11. What cargo ________________ your ship carry?
does does can will can has
12. How long ________________ our Master?
were you known had you knew have you known you know
13. _____________ sealed and signed the oil samples?
Why whose who
14. _____________ is it from here to the nearest bank?
How many how far when
15. _____________ did you last check the lifeboat inventory?
When who what
16. _____________ to complete this work?
How much time it taking you/ did it took you much time/ how many times you will take/ how much time will it take you
17. ______________ drums of paint do we need to paint this surface?
How many how much how long
18. ______________ flare is used to signal a highly dangerous landing place?
How much how old what colour.
20. ________________ your assigned security duties?
Are you understanding do you understanding are you understand do you understand
21. ______________ you going?
When where are what how long for
22. Do you ____________ someone has tried to break into the Bosun’s locker?
Think thought thinking thinks
23. What steps ____________ if there is some spillage when loading?
Are taking should take should be taken should to take
24. Do you ______________ who the company security officer is?
Knows knowing know knew
25. _____________ Australia?
Are you ever been to have you ever go to did you ever gone to have you ever been to
26. Are you ready to sail?
27. Are you going to leave the port on Friday?
28. Do you have any passengers disembarking in this port?
29. Do you have to have shore passes to go ashore?
30. Are there any injured crewmembers on board?
31. Does the ship have a bow thruster?
32. Does the Cook know how to use the fire blanke?
33. Has the cargo been delivered yet?
34. How do you want these rails stowed?
35. How does the ship answer the helm?
36. How long have you known our Master?
37. How many copies of these documents do you need?
38. How many propellers has your vessel got?
39. How many gangs will be working in this shift?
40. The fire was discovered by the engineer who noticed smoke coming from the hatch.
41. What cargo does your ship carry?
42. What is her full manoeuvring speed?
43. What kinds of firefighting appliances are there on board?
44. What ports did your ship call at during the voyage?
45. What portable fire extinguishers do you have on the ship?
46. What steps should be taken if there is some spillage when loading?
47. Where is the emergency pump located?
48. Where did you take on fresh water?
49. Where will the emergency party muster?
50. When discovered the person had fallen overboard?
51. When the storm warning was received?
52. When will our berth be available?
53. When will our food be ready?
54. When will you pass through the Panama Canal?
55. Who is keeping watch at the gangway at the moment?
56. Who is lashing the deck cargo?
57. Who prepares lifeboats for launching?
58. Who is entitled to sign this document?
59. Who investigate the cause on the accident?
60. Why did you cancel the meeting yesterday?
CHOOSE THE OPTION THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO THE GROUP
commence startstop begin
twist screwthrow turn
search look forlose hunt
lake poolsand pond
- 15. knife
visa ticket passport
tomorrow fortnightly todayyesterday
excellent brilliant perfectdisappointing
poopdeckchain forecastle monkey island
intelligent stupid clever wise
give providesteal supply